Thursday, May 7, 2009

Same ol’ Same Ol’

I remember back in the 70s when I went to church regularly with my parents, there was a guest pastor who railed in good old fashioned Lutheran fashion against pop culture. He was so engaged in fire and brimstone that we all got a kick out of it. He even skewered me when he pounded against children who watch Star Trek so many times that they can recite the dialogue. Mind you this was 1975.

Today I am off to NYC to hang out with my 45 year old friends at the latest Star Trek film. Over thirty years after receiving my first denunciation of repetition.

Never mind Kierkegaard. Repetition is now built into our environment. It is no longer an existential decision a lá Nietzsche. Now it is all there is.

Culture is indeed over, just as those horrible conservatives claimed. This Hegelian conclusion applies to the upper class of the West. Culturally we have not moved beyond the 70s, whether it’s Star Wars or the Sex Pistols. Technology has moved forward amazingly, but content, otherwise known as quality, has changed only in the sense that 1970s thoughts have been unfolded, rehashed, and disseminated further, but never upended, denounced, overthrown or replaced. You still hear Pink Floyd and Jim Morrison as you drive down the highway.

Is there no avant-garde other than the old guard?

No comments:

Post a Comment