Monday, February 16, 2009

Med Man

SO tell me what am I missing about Mad Men, The first episode was cleverly self-referential with its trying to figure out the next Lucky Strikes campaign, the men were stylish for once, martinis everywhere, suits looked sharp, deception was a sign that everyone could get rich, even the misogyny was fascinating--how do people even think like that? but by episode three it was depressingly about the misery of Connecticut suburbs, the cocky office guys, the merely manipulative, the stupidly deceptive, I grew up in the seventies with everyone talking about the misery of middle class respectability--not that I had any, but I ask, so why the fascination for it again? A few pages of Cheever and Updike will suffice should the heart yearn for Potemkin men and psycho moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment